WHITE MALE WRITERS
Dudes who are doing well in the literary canon and don't need any more help but I care for them a bit.
- •FitzgeraldThe Great Gatsby is THE THING. That last chapter is some prayer.
- •Richard YatesEleven Kinds of Loneliness, The Easter Parade, A Special Providence. Sad dads, impossible ambitions, suburban melancholy. Yates's outsized compassion.
- •John CheeverYou could draw a line straight from Fitzgerald to Yates to Cheever except there's more wood smoke and pools with limestone wells. The drinking stays pretty consistent.
- •DFWThose fucking masterpiece essays tho. Will never admit this one aloud and I'll deny it if you ask.
- •William MaxwellHis consideration of everyone. So Long, See You Tomorrow makes me feel the way like the breakdown in Twista's Overnight Celebrity but extended. GET EMOTIONAL.