ANTICS OF MY GREEK IMMIGRANT GRANDMOTHER
My grandmother moved to the United States 49 years ago. She still doesn't speak English.
- •Spend months trying to domesticate a stray cat that she lured into her house with foodAfter forcing my aunt to return the cat from the pet store
- •Ask me if I'm in class every time we talk on the phoneEven if I called her
- •Respond to "How's the weather?" With "I'm glad!"
- •Point out all the black people in pictures of me and my friends
- •Make pajamas for all my cousins with the same fabric she's been trying to "finish off" since 1995We get a new pair every year for Christmas
- •Be totally astonished and say "He's not Greek!" in response to a picture of me and my Korean boyfriend
- •Tell me I'm fat immediately after forcing me to eat *another* cookie