Innovations We Should Uninvent
There have been many questionable technological advances. Here are some of the worst:
- •SubwoofersThis is the reason that the house party that is happening a kilometre away is keeping you awake at night. Audio's equivalent of second-hand smoke.
- •Karaoke machinesThis is a tool that enables self-absorbed people to ruin an evening of drinking with their out-of-tune singing and bad taste.
- •GunsWhy do we need guns? Oh yeah, I forgot, because we have karaoke machines.
- •3D entertainmentIf the story, cinematography and acting don't provide an immersive experience then the movie sucks. Adding out-of-focus floating things will not make it better.
- •Personal automobilesThese continue to turn our once beautiful planet into hell. It's not just the exhaust, it's the size of the things, and the required infrastructure.
- •Sequencers in "live" musicIf you can't afford to pay for a whole band of real musicians, then you should just hire the singer who plays only the guitar or piano, because the duo that sounds like Toto playing in a pub is even worse than processed cheese spread on nachos.
- •Indestructible digital devices with a 3 year life expectancy.Why is my Apple laptop made out of the same material as the hull of the star ship Enterprise when it will need to be replaced in 3 years because of obsolete operational capacity?