A New Generation Gives Nashville The Finger
Some out there in li.stland prob don't care for country music. But pls hear me out--there's a lot of interesting things happening on the fringes. Perhaps not since the late 60s-early 70s has so much creativity gone on w/in the framework of this art form that, when done well, is truly American & truly human. Here's a few. As always tell me yours.
- •Sturgill SimpsonI cannot get enough of this Zen cowboy's latest album. He does a country cover of Nirvana's In Bloom for chrissakes.
- •Jason IsbellMournful voice and stellar songwriting. When you're listening to him, every once in a while you just shake your head and mumble "Damn" because it's that good.
- •Kacey MusgravesSweet voice and clever songwriting. She's won a few Grammies so she no secret but not as well known as she should be. Plus, ya know, the weed thing makes her the @snoopdogg of country.
- •Turnpike TroubadoursAt first listen I thought this was a side project for Old '97's front man Rhett Miller. Come to find out, they are their own excellent thing.
- •The White BuffaloMuscular and gut-buckety (apologies to Satchmo) music. Drink whiskey with this, muthaf#$@%=!
- •Chris StapletonOk he's as close to mainstream country as I care to get but this cat can write and play and sing. Put it this way: my 15-year-old daughter HATES country and heard him go on a little vocal run (something you seldom hear in country) on the song Tennessee Whiskey and she was impressed...with him, not with me for listening to him. Never with me. *sigh*
- •JohnnyswimHad never heard of them until they opened for Needtobreathe (sigh) and they were amazing! LOVE Chris Stapleton (good date night vinyl😜)Suggested by @cvlop61
- •Neko Case@Jenelle Thx for reminding me of Lucinda Williams, who always reminds me of the woman I like to think of as country music's other red-headed stranger.
- •Todd Snider. (Literally in this picture.) Todd is part country, part folk, part "fuck off." Definitely anti establishment. Out of this world lyrics.Sometimes between songs he tells stories for 15+ minutes that make you wish he would tell stories instead of sing. Then you hear him sing again and you wish he wouldn't tell stories. Both are amazing every time. Biggest suggestion to sample him: Talkin' Seattle Grunge Rock Blues.Suggested by @pili_ervin