THINGS I LEARNED AFTER DIRECTING & ACTING IN MY OWN FILM
JoJo requested this so here it is!
- •Directing and acting are opposite jobs with opposite goals and it is essentially impossible to truly do both at the same time. I do not recommend it.
- •Everyone will have everyone else's social security number in their Dropbox and there's nothing you can do about it.
- •Snacks are very important.
- •Being an artist and being a businessman are opposite jobs with opposite goals. One is about maximizing risk and one is about minimizing it. But you have to be both!
- •Trust your instincts on the people you hire and hire people who have guts you trust!
- •Storyboards and rehearsals are essential or you'll realize you had a subtly different vision of something when you get to set and it will SLOW YOU DOWN.
- •For a few weeks after the shoot you will continue to think you might be wearing a mic when you are alone.
- •The big acting days make you go inward and want to be alone and the big directing days will make you go outward and want to talk and talk.
- •It's a lot like summer camp and you'll make new lifelong friends! But it is also an insane thing to do that might drive you crazy.