BEST/WORST KARAOKE SONGS (INSPIRED BY YOUR TALK OF THE TOWN PROFILE 🎤)
I will slightly tweak this request and just list my personal favourites, as best/worst ratings can totally shift with the performer. I will say, not many people can do Journey. I don't recommend it. Do stop believing. But some of my least favourite songs can become fave roke tunes in the right hands.
- •What's Going On? 4 Non BlondesThis was my finale for years. It would end in a sort of performance art political piece about different world events that made me angry. And then I'd just scream 'WTF is going on?'
- •Hands Clean or Thank U Alanis MorisetteThese are both songs with big feelings. Alanis is just one raw nerve in general, and these are two sides of the feeling coin. One is angry and righteous, one is really grateful and still righteous. They're both wonderful.
- •Passionate Kisses or The Hard Way by Mary Chapin CarpenterMost Japanese places have her in the book. She's a country singer from the 90's and I love her. Some of her outros are a little long, but the instrumentation is pretty true to her recordings.
- •Midnight Train to Georgia Gladys KnightI believe in allowing each roker to shine as they choose, and therefore one does not sing along unless invited. This is one where people should be invited to participate and sing back up even though most recordings include Pips. It's also great to watch people do some Pips moves. Warning: you may blow out your voice.
- •Sin Wagon by Dixie ChicksOh my gosh I love this song! People who only know their more famous singles won't know it, but I swear everyone will love it. The instrumentation is pretty close to the recording, and the musical breaks are nice to have and not too long.
- •Walk on the Wild Side by Lou ReedThis is a great one for speak-singing if you're a little tone deaf. Don't worry about it! Participate in the roke! This is just one awesome example of a song everyone loves that you don't really need to sing so much as intone.
- •Put Your Records On Corinne Bailey RaeMost books have this. I love this song. It's a good one to move to, it just makes people really happy. It's a little tricky vocally, but give it a shot because it's lovely.
- •Never Is A Promise Fiona AppleOnly do this in a private room with your best friends. You will anger a bar crowd with this seven minute extravaganza of Fiona-ness. But it's soooooo good. A
- •Faithfully by JourneyThis is the one Journey song you can probably pull off if you're not a professional Steve Perry impersonator. The range isn't insane, and as a married person often traveling for work, it kind of makes me cry every time.
- •At Last Etta JamesThe instrumentation on the karaoke version is pretty close to her most famous recording, there is a Michael Buble one too usually. I tend to go Etta.
- •Part of Your World The Little MermaidMy feminist anthem.
- •All of RentYes. They have almost every song from the musical at my regular karaoke place. Yes, I performed Mimi's song 'Out Tonight' at a high school talent show. A Capella. Solo. Because I thought it would make me cool and I would gain tons of friends. That didn't happen. But I get to sing out in a private karaoke room and be the Mimi I always knew myself to be.
- •Bleeding Love Leona LewisA full vocal blow out. This is a good finale. You probably won't come back from this one. She's pretty great, Simon Cowell wasn't wrong.
- •Easy by Rascal Flatts and Natasha BedingfieldI love this song. It's two people, broken up, trying to pretend it's alright. Uggghhhh gets me every time.