FAVOURITE MYSTERY NOVELISTS
I love a good murder mystery
- •PD JamesShe's the jam. Wonderful, sympathetic characters. Good plot. She's so British it hurts. In a good way.
- •Michael ConnellyNot quite hard-boiled, but not soft neither. A great introduction to LA. Two great protagonists to choose from, and sometimes they team up and that's just the best.
- •James ElroyHard. Boiled. Old Hollywood, some great history lessons, and lots of dames.
- •Elizabeth GeorgeSomewhat lengthy, seems British but she's secretly not. Barbara Havers is one of my fave characters ever.
- •Sue GraftonI mean...the alphabet. But mostly a badass PI who likes to hang with her landlord's cat. Some are better than others, but I don't know what I'll do when she finally reaches Z.
- •Sparkle HayterI can't describe the joy these books bring. They're funny, a little crude, and Robin Hudson is just the most lovable feminist news woman mystery-solver out there.
- •Walter MosleyHard boiled. Easy Rawlins. Such a joy to read.
- •Agatha ChristieClassic for a reason.
- •Dennis LehaneBefore he went Hollywood--he's still good--he wrote a series of Patrick Kenzie and Angela Gennaro books. The books can be painful to read but so, so good. I miss this series truly.
- •Chevy Stevens"That Night" and "Still Missing" are two super suspenseful, can't-put-down, need-to-know-what-happened, probably-won't-guess-it reads from Stevens.🔍Suggested by @angelacroz
- •Raymond ChandlerAnother of my noir favs. His books are literary classics and rightly so.
- •Dashiell HammettMy first foray into noir is through his 'The Thin Man.' Nick and Nora Charles are inimitable.
- •Robert GalbraithWhen I found out Galbraith was a pseudonym for J.K. Rowling, I had my doubts the Cormoran Strike series would be as great as the hype; I just wasn't sure it was being hyped for the "right" reasons. But I needn't have worried, and feel guilty that I did. I'm looking forward to reading the third in the series, "Career of Evil."Suggested by @LizDawson
- •I'd add Gillian Flynn. Easy reads but delicious.Suggested by @ayacash