INSTAGRAM QUOTES AND CULTURE
Not long after I got an Instagram account, I followed yogis and went to town collecting screenshots and quotes I liked. I still like certain pictures of quotes placed atop pictures of sunsets. Sue me. Here's what I think we don't always think about as we set out to follow our bliss. Inspired by conversations w/ smart & thoughtful friends 😉☺️
- •You can find joy anywhere!Not stopping you from having an adventure but as someone who has transferred schools since elementary school all the way to college (due to choice, not necessity) the people you're with mean more than the place where you're at. 👌💕 don't limit yourself or set perimeters around experiencing contentment.
- •"Someday" doesn't just happen.Just speaking from personal experience, but five years of swooning at Instagram pictures has not put me any closer to my #goals
- •Periods of life are awkward and don't always have a pretty picture.
- •You might play guitar out of tune and fall out of yoga poses and say the wrong thing before you get it right.There may not be an insta post for these moments but I can assure you, they're just as valid and important and help us draw closer to every human who's experienced (is experiencing?) more or less the same thing.
- •Things aren't black and white.If you're not traveling and loving every part of your life, you're not a failure.
- •Something is better than nothing.Let's romanticize taking baby steps toward your dream life!
- •Our free-spirited social media personalities mean well.And I think they're great. Plus, you can find many more posts these days of people capturing their "off days" and human struggles too. I don't think they mean to make us ever make us feel inadequate, jealous or discouraged.
- •Don't NOT follow your bliss.By all means, follow it! Be thoughtful, critical, listen to what other people have to say. Reflect and then do what you gotta do, you shining star! 🌟
- •Keep in mind expenses...Saving 💵💵💵 is important! If you want to travel or get certified to teach yoga or change your path, it'll probably come with a price. Not a couple hundred, but more often than not, thousands.
- •Keep in mind it's scary af...Yikes! Going your own path and seeing your family crinkle their eyebrows in a disapproving response is not easy.
- •Complement > substituteLittle quotes and things that inspire you should complement your life. Turning every moment into a post to show how zen you are is probably not a fair substitute to engaging fully in life.
- •"If the whole world was blind, who would you impress?"Woah. Wonder if Boonaa Mohammed knew he'd be speaking right to our Instagram-saturated souls with this one?
- •The "I'll be happy when.." sentimentis all too common with insta posts. And I just have a few things to say about this: nope, nope nope!