TEN BOOKS THAT HAVE STAYED WITH ME
For various reasons and in no particular order.
- 1.The Night Trilogy (Night, Dawn, The Accident) - Elie WieselHaunting, provocative accounts of Auschwitz. Part nonfiction (Night and Dawn), part fiction; all too real and disturbing.
- 2.The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz ZafónLyrical, sweeping story that will remind you why literature matters.
- 3.Indian Horse - Richard WagameseA fictional telling of Canada's shameful treatment of Aboriginal children in residential schools.
- 4.Love You Forever - Robert MunschThe most enduring love story.
- 5.Man's Search for Meaning - Viktor FranklA harrowing reflection on the psychological repercussions of the Holocaust.
- 6.Never Let Me Go - Kazuo IshiguroIshiguro brings his mastery to a tale of the ethical dilemmas science presents.
- 7.Anne of Green Gables - L.M. MontgomeryIrrepressible Anne Shirley's classic coming-of-age story.
- 8.Nicholas and Alexandra - Robert K. MassieThe tragic story of Russia's last royal family, beautifully told.
- 9.East of Eden - John SteinbeckSteinbeck's engrossing saga of the fictional Trask family. Prime candidates for an episode of Jerry Springer.
- 10.Pride and Prejudice - Jane AustenThe classic story of the thin line between love and hate.