TOP 10 BOOKS (THAT MOST AFFECTED ME)
My entry in the "10 books that immediately meant something to you" genre of list-making.
- •Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury "What Bradbury means for me. October. Halloween. Carnivals. Magic. Aging. Acceptance."en. Carnivals. Magic. Aging. Acceptance."
- •Dune by Frank Herbert "In a 3-way tie with STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND & FOUNDATION as the finest of all 'science fiction' for me."
- •Cat's Cradle: A Novel by Kurt Vonnegut "SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE might be better, but this was the first Vonnegut I read. It skewed me, no doubt."
- •The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics & Eastern Mysticism by Fritjof Capra "Changed my life. The book on this list that had the most impact on me, by far. It altered the wiring of my brain. The 'physics' was out-dated even then, but its still a beautiful story."
- •Et Tu, Babe by Mark Leyner "My sense of humor...a sheer delight on so many levels."
- •JR by William Gaddis "Mind blowing. Almost incomprehensible, but once you give up & allow it to swallow you whole...it's a beautiful symphony on the page."
- •A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn "A hard slap to your pudgy, entitled face. I named my son after Howard Zinn, who's such an American hero he should be on a stamp."
- •His Dark Materials (The Golden Compass; The Subtle Knife; The Amber Spyglass) by Philip Pullman "Cheating a bit by including a trilogy...but by the end I found this to be a hauntingly emotional story. It resonated with me far more than Harry Potter, et al."
- •Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware "A staggeringly detailed portrait of disconnection, human loneliness, & need."