Create a New Response to Mass Shootings
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Einstein
- •The cycle of outrage, horror, social media posting, and even petition signing isn't working for me.
- •I feel that my time, energy, money, and votes are the resources I have to give.
- •Every time there is a new shooting, I immediately go into news blackout and encourage others to do the same.
- •I brainstorm ideas for true change with others. Where does it start? What does it look like?
- •One of these conversations led to this insight: the NRA is not a social political lobby (Constitution, etc). It's a corporate lobby that is just trying to back its own financial interests. This is not a "right to bear arms" issue. This is about people who want the right to keep making money off of our fear and confusion.
- •Sharing that insight, a director friend and I came up with this idea just this morning: What if if we created a "Family Tree of the NRA" video? It would explain to people that there are ways that they unwittingly support the NRA. They can remove that support simply by shopping a little differently. Dent the NRA where they care: their bottom line.
- •It felt a shitload better than getting mad on Facebook.
- •I urge you all to consider how you respond to these news events and to join in on thoughtful "change agent" approaches for your own mental health.
- •It's also going to be the way we get to the bottom of what feels like immoveable mountains.
- •Let's start moving the stones together. What do you say? Who's in on the NRA family tree project?