This Is Happening: Southern Sweden
I need to record some of the details so I won't forget. The details are where the good stuff is. Dec 2015.
- •In small towns, at a certain time of night, you can hear cars doing loop de loop donuts in parking lots. It's the Swedish version of flipping cows (according to the Swedes I'm hanging out with).
- •They eat passion fruit raw (as opposed to only in juices, which is how I've had it @estherlimtf), but it's mostly a hotel thing. Passion fruit is big here.
- •They have this amazing reality show where the people follow the history of a house, showing what it was like in the past and who lived there. It's only a matter of time til we get this format, I think.
- •They produce tv shows by licensing "formats"--everywhere does this--but the strange thing is that the format might never have been made before. So people are selling formats across Europe that are just a paragraph, really. I didn't know that before.
- •There are way more 7-Eleven's than we seem to have. The ratio is up. Do we have as many anymore btw? I feel like I don't see them.
- •The train infrastructure is great and seen as being way faster than cars for getting to cities, airports.
- •There's a spirit of "how can we take the best approach to something." They don't care if companies are American or whatever. There isn't a feeling of nationalism around which businesses people frequent. It's not a good or bad thing, just something I'm noticing and am a little surprised by.
- •In christmastime, nearly everyone has a lit star in their window like this:
- •Workdays are currently 8 hours, however, people get an hour lunch break. Everyone's pushing for a 6 hour workday and it seems to be working. Companies are trying it. They're big believers in the work-life balance.
- •It's not crazy cold by day, but it's windy biting at night. Tho on latitude with Seattle, I had to dress like this last night:
- •I love the aesthetic even more than I thought I would and it hurts a little. Instead of saying, "that's beautiful," I just keep saying, "this is happening." Too trite otherwise.
- •This is happening.
- •I woke up this morning and this was happening.
- •And then this was happening:
- •And finally, now, this is happening. Note that there's a passion fruit in that cocktail.