FIRST MAJOR NEWS STORY I REMEMBER LIVING THROUGH AS A CHILD
inspired by @lexie_elyse
- •Hurricane KatrinaI know, I know, I'm a baby. Whatevs
- •I was 6 years old in 1st grade. My best friend's name was Katrina. Her family was from Louisiana. Strange Coincidence.
- •This was my most visceral experience with empathy as a child.I remember crying as I imagined what it would feel like if it was my family experiencing something this tragic. I remember how important it was to me to tell all my friends about what was happening, and how I couldn't understand why they weren't as affected as I was. Not much has changed unfortunately.
- •Cry Out to JesusThis song kept coming on the radio, and i remember sitting with my mom and my brother doing laundry. I was sobbing and my brother was so confused by this outburst of emotion that he just started laughing. I kept trying to explain, in between sniffles, but I felt so crazy. Then I looked at my mom, and that was when I realized what I was feeling was much bigger than me.
- •I actually didn't remember most of this until I started making this list. Huh.