HOW TO GET THROUGH FATHER'S DAY WHEN YOUR DAD ISN'T ALIVE
Heavy, I know. But this is very real for so many people. This Sunday will be my 11th Father's Day without my dad — here's how I've learned to cope.
- •Do something that reminds you of spending time with your dad.I usually play Patsy Cline when I want to feel close to my dad. Reminds me of being in the car with him when he would pick me up from dance classes or play rehearsals.
- •Avoid most social media.All the pictures shouting out all the alive dads can be a little overwhelming and make me sad. But I do remind myself that those posts also make people who don't have great relationships with their alive dads sad. Nothing's perfect.
- •Do something nice for yourself.Get a fancy coffee. Go outside. Watch a movie that makes you laugh.
- •Call your mom or any other important family member.They miss your dad, too.
- •Send messages to your friends who have also lost a dad.I've got a small group of friends who have also lost a parent. Just simply acknowledging to each other that sometimes we miss our deceased parent is so powerful and meaningful. It makes me feel like it's okay to talk about grief.
- •Realize it's just a day.It's not a personal affront to remind you that your dad is dead. It's just a day and tomorrow is another day. You're going to be just fine 💕