Things I learned from Stephen King's memoir about writing
- •He claims being wrestled by an overweight babysitter as a child prepared him to handle any writing criticism.
- •He has no memory of writing Cujo. He was too drunk and high.He adds it's a shame, too, since he likes that book.
- •He threw away an early draft of Carrie. His wife found it in the trash, read it and told him to keep writing.The paperback advance for that book was around $400,000.
- •He once worked in a laundromat, where he wrote a lot of his early books.
- •He says write your first draft "with the door closed" and the second "with the door open."
- •Being hit by a car inspired him to write this memoir.
- •Always use active voice.Duh