THIRTEEN OF THE BEST PLACES TO VISIT IN FRANCE THAT ARENT PARIS
There is so much more to France than Paris. Profitez-en!
- •Saint-MaloA sweet little walled port town on the Brittany coast (once riddled with pirates!) Marvelous excuse to sit outside all day in the springtime eating mussels and drinking white wine.
- •Les Baux de ProvenceBeautiful little village near Avignon. Stairs are a great workout for the ass derrière.
- •GignacNot much but vineyards as far as the eye can see. Stay in the old farmhouse at Domaine de Pelican and frolic among the grapes.
- •Mont Saint-MichelCliché but with good reason.
- •MontpellierA+ botanical gardens, lovely opera house and one of the best dinners I've ever had at La Coquille.
- •SeteLovely un-fussy port town with picturesque canals on the Mediterranean. Excellent beaches nearby.
- •AmboiseA great place to visit in the Loire and once home to da Vinci. You can still visit his house, Chateau du Clos Lucé. Don't miss the Mona Lisa roses in the garden!
- •AnetThe home of Diane de Poitiers' family chateau, which is spectacular.
- •Fontevraud-l'abbayeLovely abbey, sweet little town.
- •Saint-Guilhem-le-DesertAn otherworldly escape in the south.
- •HonfleurNormandy at its best. Visit in the fall, don't miss market day and have as much cider, butter and apples as you can.
- •ReimsI think the capital of the champagne region. Do you really need to know more?