Bel Canto by Ann Patchett ✏️
When I read, I dog ear the pages [don't get mad! I don't believe in being too precious with books] that have beautiful or moving or important sentences. Later I go back and copy them into my commonplace notebook. Here are my favorites from Bel Canto.
- •If someone loves you for what you can do, then it's flattering, but why do you love them? If someone loves you for who you are then they have to know you, which means you have to know them.
- •Love is a rebellious bird that no one can tame, he thought again, and he kissed her.
- •It was a miraculous thing to be able to watch the person you love undetected, as if you were a stranger seeing them for the first time. She could see his beauty as someone who took nothing for granted. Look at that beautiful man, that brilliant man, he loves me.[ ed. note: 😭😭😭😭😭]
- •Love was action. It came to you. It was not a choice.
- •When he was a child, he dreamed of love. Not only to witness it, the way he saw in the opera, but to feel it himself. But that, he decided, was madness. That was wanting too much. Tonight he wished for little things, the chance to take a hot bath, a reasonable suit of clothing, a gift to bring, at the very least some flowers,but then the room tilted slightly in the other direction and he opened up his hands and all of that fell away from him and he wanted nothing. He had been asked to come to her room at two A.M. and there was nothing more in the world to want, ever.