Lies I've Told My Therapist
Obviously you shouldn't lie to your therapist or use should statements.
- •I don't keep a journal. Not really. I don't regularly process things through writing(At last count, I have about 15 old journals)
- •In response to: "Why do you think you need to keep that box of relationship mementos in your parents' basement?"Oh, I don't *have* to keep it. It's just there. I mean, I forgot to throw it out after I moved. If you think about it, it's basically already thrown away because I'm 45 miles from it. So.
- •I'm good, how are you?I was not, in fact, good.
- •No, I don't think my not dating is symptomatic of anything else in my life.It was.
- •In response to: "Have you been answering the phone on the first ring like we talked about for exposure therapy?"Yes, totally. I have no voicemails I'm ignoring.
- •In response to: "Catch me up, what's happened since we last met?"Oh you know, I'm good! Really great, things are fine, not much happening, just going to work and coming home. [15 minutes later: actually this thing happened and sucks, I guess we can talk about it gingerly]
- •In response to: "Is there anything specific you wanted to address today?"Mmmm not really just *vague hand wave* some... stuff.
- •In response to: "this seems to be bringing up emotions for you, why is that?"I don't, I'm not ... crying... I mean, I don't get worked up about this outside of your office so I don't know why I'm, um, do you have any tissues?