Songs I Am Currently Obsessed With, Vol II
- •Glass Ceiling, MetricDruuuuums. (Who let it end up on the ground/ How am I gonna know I'm letting you down)
- •Dream in Blue, The Stray BirdsI'm a born and and raised Georgian so banjo bluegrass is kinda my thing. This song adds a fiddle and the harmonies are just-so. (I left home on account of you/always loving someone new)
- •Loro, PinbackI was reading an Ask Polly column and she recommended listening to this song in the dark if you can't meditate. Accurate. It's an auditory bubble bath.
- •Calendar Girl, StarsI've listened to Stars since I found Elevator Love Letter on a MySpace playlist when I was 15. Because they're a Canadian indie pop band, you'd think their music would be twee but then the lyrics bite. (I dreamed I was dying/as I so often do/and when I awoke I was sure it was true/I ran to the window/threw my head to the sky/and said whoever is up there/ please don't let me die/ I can't live forever/I can't always be/one day I'll be sand on the beach by the sea.)
- •Desperado, RihannaHoly shit, have you guys seen the latest episode of Girls, American Bitch? It's season 6's bottle episode — a thirty minute one act play on power imbalances and consent that's really well done. They picked this song to play over the credits and it's a perfect wrap to the episode. (a man whose heart is hollow 👀)
- •Plainsong, The CureI don't think I have to explain this one.
- •Stolen Car, Bruce SpringsteenI love Bruce. (And I'm driving a stolen car/On a pitch black night/And I'm telling myself/I'm gonna be alright/But I ride by night/And I travel in fear/In this darkness/I will disappear)
- •Long Long Time, Linda RonstadtA flawless torch song. (Cause I've done everything I know to try to make you mine/ And I think it's gonna hurt me for a long long time)