The Knight Wonders What, Exactly, He Rescued
By Jeannine Hall Gailey
- •His hands are full of brambles, and the woman
- •In that tower a bit more feral than anticipated;
- •It turns out she has a bone collection
- •and a habit of turning princes into toads.
- •With her hair cut short, sometimes her eyes
- •And cheekbones look so sharp she reminds him
- •Of some forest creature gone astray in a floating green dress.
- •He makes dinner for the two of them,
- •Gently snapping the asparagus in two, cutting
- •the fascia away from a chicken breast with a sigh.
- •A back fire, a black spire, a fear ark, a fae bicker:
- •A creature with a beautiful song and sharp claws.
- •Nothing the way he'd pictured it.