What I Do When I Feel Blah
Here is what I'd tell you to do, if you came to me and said "Anna- wow life sucks, how do I get passably cheerful again?"
- •You are allowed to angst-sing alongside Barbra with "The Way We Were" on repeat for the entirety of one car trip. Let it out, really feel the angst. You are Katie Morosky, Hubbell Gardener ties your shoes for you, etc. etc.If you don't have a car, you may not be able to belt it, but definitely gaze wistfully out your train or bus window.
- •You should definitely watch that swing dance in the barn scene from Witness where Harrison Ford is all cocky grins and bossy charm. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vKM0nH6-NnINow is not the time to consider Mr. Ford's age nor his earring. For you, he is always 38 and in his golden boy prime. Yes Lord.
- •Taking a long hot bath is also a must. Drain that tub once and refill it if necessary. If you don't have a good book to read while soaking, go get one, you amateur. This is no time to be squeamish about dropping your book in the bath. But please, only bring your Kindle if you're feeling either especially responsible or especially reckless.If things are really dire, you may need to add a candle and repeat this step more than once.
- •Okay you, now go get out your fuzzy socks. If you have hardwood or laminate floors, go sock sliding.While sock sliding, you can pretend you're a pairs figure skater, your triple salchow RULED and you've just won gold at the Winter Olympics. Your super hot skating partner is now about to drop to one knee and propose marriage on the ice. Yes, I do have a healthy fantasy life, thanks for asking.
- •You probably feel a little better now!