ALL ABOUT YERBA MATE
Argentines LOVE their mate (even half Argentines, like me)
- •Behold, yerba mate, the beautiful beverage.
- •It isn't drugs. It's a type of traditional tea mostly found in South America.Have I been asked "do you have a marijuana license?" during a stop for speeding? Yes. It looks sketchy.
- •It's prepared by pouring the loose leaves into the gourd and adding hot (but not boiling) water and sugar.
- •I don't drink coffee so mate provides me with some caffeine to get through my day.
- •When you drink it with friends, you all share one cup (called a mate) and take turns drinking from it. It's such a fun social way to drink!It also has led to the creation of the saying "el mate no es micrófono" (mate isn't a microphone) because if someone has the cup and is telling a story, no one else gets to drink from it until they are done! Rude.
- •It comes in lots of flavors besides just the original type!Currently my favorite kinds are regular, pomelo (grapefruit), and hierbas serranas (mountain herbs)
- •Obama tried it recently and he liked it!
- •It pairs perfectly with (well, anything) but especially breakfast food like bread and scones.Pictured: alfajores, another food Argentines love
- •If you read this far, thanks for letting me teach you a little something about my culture!Now go to your local Latino market and buy some yerba!