TOPICS THAT MAKE ME REALLY COMFORTABLE
I'm a fairly open book, and small talk is silly. So, if you enjoy these diverse topics of conversation, we cool.
- •Poo.I don't know if it's because I work with kids, but I could talk about poo all day. No, I'm not gross, it's just fascinating and such a strong indicator of our health. I swear every female friend I know and their cousin have lower GI issues (we are in our 20's!!!) but people still blush when the topic comes up. Everybody poops, people.
- •Uncomfortably hilarious sexual encounters.This topic if my favourite! Anytime I think about sex objectively, I can't help but cringe just a bit. It's great, but also the perfect instigator of some of the funniest stories I've heard/been a part of. And sharing those stories with your pals can make for a great time.
- •Facial hair.I'm half Persian. The end.
- •Your period/my period.WHY is this taboo?!? A woman's period is basically LIFE. Every time a friend of mine has given me this look 😒 when I bring up periods I wanna rage a little. You know whose else had their period!? YOUR MOTHER. So she could GIVE BIRTH TO YOU. (I know there's more involved, just making a point. )
- •Religion/spiritualityOn a more serious note: My family is Baha'i, and while I do not participate in that faith, growing up with spiritual parents made a huge difference. I feel as though there's a lot of fear alongside open discussions surrounding spirituality and religion, and rightly so - the tension is real. Even so, open dialogue around what makes us feel connected can be a real revelation for resilience in ourselves and others.
- •Intersectionality and Privilege.It blows my mind that these topics are still news to peeps, but I'm always stoked to talk it out with others. As a white, cisgender woman, I've lived my life alongside so much privilege that I still am deconstructing. It's how it goes: life is an constant for self-reflection and awareness, and participating in it together promoters strength and most importantly, allyship to others.
- •Wine.Why I love it and how we should probably open a bottle....