YA BOOKS I'VE READ IN 2016
I love me some plot driven storytelling and I'm going to continue to update this
- •Brown Girl Dreaming, Jacqueline WoodsonHeartbreaking and beautiful
- •This Trilogy: Girl of Fire and Thorns, Crown of Embers, Bitter Kingdom, Rae CarsonFeminist fantasy series with Latin American influence. Why I am so tired this week.
- •Walk the Earth a Stranger, Rae CarsonGold Rush! Girl disguised as boy! A little magic!
- •Aristotle and Dante discover secrets of the universe, Benjamin Alire SaenzRe-reading. I love this book's representation of present and loving and flawed parents.
- •The Penderwicks on Gardham Street, Jeanne BirdsallAudiobooks are how I survive long drives with my family.
- •The Hereville Series (3), Barry DeutschOrthodox Jewish heroine. Really sweet and fun graphic novels, moralistic but not irritating.
- •American Born Chinese, Gene Luen YangPowerful graphic novel which really brought home the insidious and pervasive racism Asian Americans and immigrants kids and teens experience(d). Every trope was familiar and painful and exhausting. 5 stars.
- •Wonderstruck, Brian SelznickBeautiful!
- •Anya's Ghost, Vera BrosgolAnother great book dealing with immigrant alienation. And ghosts. 👻
- •El Deafo, CeCe Bell😍