The Stupidest Comments I've Gotten About Being Deaf
I'm deaf. And I keep track of the stupid shit people say.
- •Can you drive?Yup. Ears aren't exactly necessary for driving, trust me.
- •Can you have babies?Wtf? Ears, uterus—pretty sure they're not linked.
- •God bless you.I had a dude come up to me on the subway once, while I was signing with a friend. He gave me the sign of the cross with tears in his eyes. I'm absolutely fine. I don't need your pity or your blessings.
- •Can you hear this....?Just don't.
- •ASL (American sign language) is such a beautiful language!Suuuppperr patronizing.
- •I know some ASL! *proceeds to very slowly sign "how are you"*Would you do the same to a Spanish-speaking person?!
- •How much can you hear?What? Like... my actual decibel loss? You want me to describe what I can't hear when I'm not even sure what I'm not hearing?
- •Can you hear me now?That goddamn commercial.
- •You're so inspiring.Nope. I'm not your inspiration porn. I'm not a lesser being. I should not be inspiring because you shouldn't have expected less of me in the first place. I'm deaf. I can do anything, except hear.