WHY YOU SHOULD WATCH CRAZY EX GIRLFRIEND
I saw tons of people (especially on tumblr) complaining and promising to boycott this show because of its ads/title and it made me very upset because it's wonderful. Here are some reasons to watch it!
- •Musical numbers!I'm a sucker for a good musical and this show delivers so much! First because they start to sing in the middle of sentences and I always LOVE this and second because they add so much to the story! Only four episodes in and we already have some classics like The Getting Ready Song and Sex with a Stranger (with fantastic lines like "please don't be a murderer). My favorite is Settle for Me, because it combines things I adore, meaning songs and a couple that I root for.
- •It talks about mental illness in a refreshing way!Rebecca has been struggling her whole life with a controlling mother and with depression and anxiety. After receiving a well deserved promotion, she has a panic attack. She takes tons of medicine to help with everything, but it isn't easy to balance. Here is an article from Alyssa Rosenberg talking about this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2015/10/26/the-radical-promise-of-tvs-mentally-ill-women/
- •What was the last time you were truly happy?Rebecca sees this question on an ad for butter and starts to question her whole life, mostly a strict plan made by her mother. The last time she felt happy was when she was in theatre camp and she and Josh had a thing. So when she sees Josh in NYC and they talk she decides to drop everything and go to West Covina (but not because he is there).
- •She's trying to take control of her life and turning around the notion of what "crazy" means.In the words of the show creator and main star, Rachel Bloom: "The show is always from the perspective of, Here are the times I’ve felt crazy. I’ve felt out of control in my own mind, and kind of laughing at myself. (...) . This is how one comes to embody feeling crazy. And the idea that love and infatuation and feeling happy take away the power of your own mind from you. That was always what the show was about. She’s not an SNL character; this isn’t written from a male perspective."
- •It was created by two womenThis is important to me because a lot of times female characters are the exact definition of what men WANT, not what is real for women, so complex and flawed characters are what I live for. Rachel Bloom, one of the co-creators also is the main character and she is GREAT! (I already mentioned this but who cares)
- •Some links to convince you in case this list hasn't yet!These people are way better at this words thing than I am, so read it: - Interview with Rachel Bloom (super interesting!): http://www.vulture.com/2015/10/crazy-ex-girlfriend-rachel-bloom-how-crazy-happens.html - Her YouTube channel (clips from the show and other great videos): https://m.youtube.com/#/user/racheldoesstuff - The Crazy Ex Girlfriend YouTube channel (the CW one): https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6abPzY300GWEYyOKBkewsngqZQ5G1t62
- •One more link!- This DailyBeast article (and I'd like to say that even tho they point Mindy Lahiri as someone who has her life balanced etc, it wasn't always this way and I think TMP was super important in this complex female hero thing etc)(not the point I know) http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/11/02/crazy-ex-girlfriend-is-smart-sexy-unapologetically-feminist-tv.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thedailybeast%2Farticles+%28The+Daily+Beast+-+Latest+Articles%29