"He seared the memory of the Holocaust on the world's conscience"
- •Elie Wiesel - September 28, 1928-July 2, 2016
- •An excerpt from "A Prayer for the Days of Awe"
- •"Auschwitz must and will forever remain a question mark only: it can be conceived neither with God nor without God.
- •At one point, I began wondering whether I was not unfair with You. After all, Auschwitz was not something that came down ready-made from heaven
- •It was conceived by men, implemented by men, staffed by men. And their aim was to destroy not only us but You as well.
- •Ought we not to think of Your pain, too? Watching Your children suffer at the hands of Your other children, haven't You also suffered?
- •As we Jews now enter the High Holidays again, preparing ourselves to pray for a year of peace and happiness for our people and for all people, let us make up, Master of the Universe.
- •In spite of everything that happened? Yes, in spite. Let us make up: for the child in me, it is unbearable to be divorced from You so long."