THINGS YOU GET USED TO WHEN WORKING IN A MOSQUITO LAB
- •Using your mouth to aspirate Mosquitos.By far the weirdest thing I've done for science. No mosquitoes have ever ended up in my mouth, there's a filter to prevent that.
- •Biking frozen samples to another genetics lab so we can borrow their iPLEX machine.I'm the fastest biker/have the fastest road bike. I am designated mosquito taxi.
- •Micro-pipettingThere is a huge difference between one tiny droplet of DNA juice and another slightly tinier droplet of DNA juice.
- •Several PhDs each armed with an electric bug swatter all chasing a single malaria mosquito around the insectary.It's pretty funny.
- •Looking at pupae under a microscope to separate males/females.THEY ARE SO CUTE THEY HAVE LITTLE SHREK EARS