Favorite Campfire Recipes
I spent a season living out of a campsight on an intentional community in Tennessee. Eventually I grew tired of breaking sticks every morning to make coffee, but I did pick up some good recipes.
- •Stuffed Grape LeavesGrape leaves are everywhere, pick some big ones and rinse them off. Make a pot of sticky vinegar rice. Mix in minced garlic & black olives on a leaf. Roll these and fry them in evo on a pan or wok.
- •Hillbilly SushiPick some Mustard Greens and bring back the sticky rice. Mix in canned or pouch tuna, and roll in the Mustard Green as you would seaweed. Voila!
- •Chicken & BiscuitsMake biscuits in a roaster or Dutch oven, Pillsbury or scratch. Saute garlic and wild onions. Add a can of white meat chicken and some foraged mushrooms, I recommend Morel if you find them in season. Add some flour for your gravy and your off to yummy town.
- •Squash CasseroleSlice two butternut squash vertically to make long thin slices. In a deep pan or Dutch oven, layer the squash, sliced onion, a mozzarella / parmesan blend, and heavy whipping cream. Repeat until your out of ingredients. Cover and place on coals until you can't wait any longer.
- •Eggplant ParmComplete the same procedure as the casserole, but replace squash with eggplant and whipping cream with marinara. Saute some onions and garlic to really kick off the sauce.
- •Potatoes & Corn!Just shove them in the coals at the start of preparing your main dish. If you've never had corn, fire roasted in the husk, you've never had corn.