Cancer Faux Pas: Don't Say This
My spouse was recently diagnosed and here are sentences that actually come out of people's faces.
- •Everything happens for a reason.No, it doesn't. The universe is random and mysterious and sometimes horrible things happen.
- •God needs him/her in heaven.Nope. That's ridiculous.
- •What kind of cancer is it?That is not your business. If we want to share that information, we will do so.
- •Do you eat beef? Drink pasteurized milk? Live under power lines? Maybe that's why.Stop trying to rationalize this random atrocity. Sussing out a cause does not make you immune to tragedy.
- •Enjoy every moment you have together.Thanks.
- •Have you tried rubbing frankincense near the tumor? Have you tried Plexus? Organic cottage cheese and flaxseed are better than chemo.Jesus. Please go away.