COOKING/BAKING 'RULES' I USUALLY FLAUNT
They're more like guidelines anyway.
- •Use unsalted butter.I like salt & I'm not buying two kinds of butter. We went through this thing when I was in jh/hs where we only bought unsalted butter at my older sister's insistence, & I never noticed a difference in our baked goods. I also hated having to salt my toast, which IS noticeably different to using salted butter.
- •Grease & flour pan/tray/&c.Cool now my cake has a flour crust; just what I wanted.
- •Sift flour.No thank you. (I will deign to whisk it.)
- •Line the pan/tray/&c with parchment paper.Have admittedly lived to regret this, but not often enough/to a large enough extent to not still be too cheap to buy parchment paper.
- •Bring [ingredient] to room temperature.You vastly overestimate how far in advance I plan to cook/bake things.
- •Brush with an egg wash.Has this ever improved anything?
- •Chill in refrigerator for [amount of time].Did you mean: put it in your freezer for 30 minutes/until you feel like it's about as firm as it needs to be? Cool.