THINGS I WANT TO DO VS. WHAT I ACTUALLY DO
Personally and professionally, the end of the year is a chance to reassess priorities and see how our last 12 months stacked up. Here we'll compare a few January hopes and November realities. What water-related items would you add to the list?
- •WANT TO: Keep my work space organized and uncluttered for maximum efficiency.ACTUALLY: Laughable.
- •WANT TO: Exercise more.ACTUALLY: Depending on your job, there's no shortage of activity. One wastewater plant operator Christen Wood said she can take more than 40,000 steps in her 12-hour shift. https://youtu.be/IO7naRfXNrQ
- •WANT TO: Drink more water.ACTUALLY: Drink more coffee. Or beer. But not at the same time. Does this count?
- •WANT TO: Treat wastewater to protect Lake Erie and all of Northeast Ohio.ACTUALLY: We not only do that to the tune of 200 million gallons every day, but we also contribute to green improvements that keep surface water out of the sewers altogether. http://neorsd.org/smart
- •WANT TO: Accomplish everything on my daily checklist.ACTUALLY: "WHY DOES EVERYONE KEEP INTERRUPTING MY DAILY CHECKLIST?!?"
- •WANT TO: Eat healthier.ACTUALLY: "....Maybe taking more notes will burn the calories of the donuts John brought to the department meeting...."
- •WANT TO: "Stop and smell the roses"ACTUALLY: There is no smell quite like a wastewater treatment plant. http://neorsd.blogspot.com/2014/06/weird-making-sense-of-smells-of.html But even within the aromas, one can pause to appreciate the work it takes to turn sewage into clean water.