Top toilet stories of 2016 (via AP)
Headlines and summaries of some of the toilet-related stories from the last year.
- 10.NYC museum invites viewers to use 18-karat gold toiletSEPT 15, 2016 — As part of a Guggenheim exhibit, guests can use a gold-plated working toilet in a tiny fourth-floor restroom. Expensive throne, but the flush is probably the same bargain it always is.
- 9.Former Florida librarian sues city for exploding toiletNOV 17, 2016 — "A former librarian at a Florida elementary school is suing for negligence alleging a toilet at the school exploded, hitting her with porcelain shards."
- 8.Man covers face with toilet paper, robs Nashville storeJULY 13, 2016 — "He went into the bathroom, grabbed toilet paper and used it to cover his face as he pulled out a gun and demanded money from the clerk."
- 7.Colorado city uses toilet paper to help repair cracked roadsNOV 4, 2016 — "Officials say toilet paper was applied with a paint roller over freshly laid tar used to fill asphalt cracks. The paper absorbs the oil from the tar as it dries, keeping it from sticking to shoes or tires."
- 6.Lawsuit: McDonald's toilet paper dispenser caused eye damageMAY 13, 2016 — "A northern New Mexico woman is suing a Santa Fe McDonald's franchise after she said a toilet paper dispenser fell off a bathroom stall door and slammed into her face."
- 5."Texas' water future: More toilet-to-tap, aquifer storage"MAY 19, 2016 — Texas' population growth and historic drought has led the state development board to OK a plan outlining thousands of strategies to address water woes. The plan includes a goal (by 2070) of 28.3 billion gallons of water to be supplied from treated toilet water, a process known as toilet-to-tap.
- 4.Battle over school toilet paper breaks out in Spanish townOCT 17, 2016 — A town near Madrid sent a school supply list to parents. Among the required items was six rolls of toilet paper.
- 3.Rio venues no better than sailing in toiletAUG 2, 2016 — The Rio Olympics dominated news coverage in the days leading up to the opening ceremonies as officials were concerned about water quality, or the lack thereof. A study reported Rio's waterways were "contaminated with raw human sewage teeming with dangerous viruses and bacteria."
- 2.Thai man attacked by snake that slithered up through his toiletMAY 26, 2016 — I really don't think this headline requires a summary, do you?
- 1.Inmates remove leaky toilet, escape through holeDEC 27, 2016 — Six Tennessee inmates pulled a leaky toilet away from a crumbling wall to expose a hole and a means to escape. The leak had rusted the bolts and weakened a spot in the wall compromised by earlier repairs. So many lessons here.