8 Lesser-known Facts About Guy Fawkes
Remember, remember the 5th of November...
- •He wasn't the leader of the Gunpowder Plot.There were 12 conspirators total, with Robert Catesy being the true ringleader of the group. Hawked became infamous because he was the one found with 36 barrels of gunpowder underneath the House of Lords.
- •Fawkes changed his name.While in Europe, he actually changed his name to 'Guido' – the Italian variant of Guy.
- •Only one place in the UK does not celebrate Guy Fawkes Day.St. Peter's in York is the only place in England that does not participate in Bonfire Night celebrations.
- •Fawkes did not die as originally planned.He was sentenced to be hung, drawn, and quartered. It never happened. Fawkes kept to his death and died from a broken neck.
- •The House of Parliament is still searched every year for explosives.Even though the cellar that Fawkes was hiding in no longer exists. DUN DUN DUNNN.
- •Bonfire Night is big business for fireworks.Over 100 million fireworks are sold in the UK each year, with New Year's Eve, Guy Fawkes Day, and Diwali being the top three occasions in which they are purchased in the country.
- •Fireworks for Guy Fawkes Day were suspended during WWI + II.The resources and expertise needed for the fireworks displays were diverted to the more pressing war efforts.
- •Pop culture loves the 5th of November.Guy Fawkes Day references can be found in Doctor Who, Harry Potter, and of course Alan Moore's graphic novel V For Vendetta.