Is It Just Me Or...?
I'm really nervous posting this, but it's something I keep thinking about. Maybe I can see other people's opinions and points of view and learn something or catch something I'm missing.
- •When people talk about gun control and how to deal with the problem of guns and mass shootings they list off things that need to be fixed and when they include fixing or improving mental health care I get a tad angry.I don't know if any of the people who are responsible for mass shootings had a mental illness. If they did maybe better mental health care could have helped them. But to me lumping mental health care and gun control together makes it seem like people who have a mental illnesses are the cause of mass shootings. I think it gives the impression that mentally ill people are eventually going to break and go out and shoot a bunch of people.
- •I think we do need to improve the mental health care system so people can get the help they really need.
- •And if mass shootings is what started the discussion on mental health care that's fine. Something had to start the discussion.
- •But it seems like we only talk about fixing the mental health care system after a mass shooting, or at least that's when the media really discusses it, and then we forget about it.
- •I think they should be two separate points to be discussed and not lumped together.
- •I think lumping them together adds to the stigma around mental illness that all mentally ill people are violent and a threat. I don't think it's intended to come off that way by some people or if people are perceiving it this way, but I feel like it definitely could.
- •I don't really know. I'm having a lot of feelings I need to get out.
- •What are your thoughts?
- •Or you can ignore this. Just please don't be mean. If I've missed something tell me. I don't know everything. I want to learn.