Me at Half My Age
Inspired by @nathanveshecco
- •It was 2005 and I was 12.
- •I was in 7th grade and my first year in middle school.I was on team red. They split all the 7th and 8th graders into teams and each had a color. Each team consisted of so many students, and a teacher for each subject. I was on the same team as my best friend Kim, which made life adjusting to middle school a little easier.
- •I played the flute in band. I would quit after this year because I wanted my study hall period.
- •I started learning French.I still know nothing because I take a French class or two, wait a couple years and then take it again.
- •On certain days during this study hall period in both 7th and 8th grade my friend Nikki and I went and hung out with the students in the special ed classes. We played games with them and talked.I have no idea how I was chosen to do this, but a teacher asked me if I was interested and I said yes. I was terrified though because I had never been around people with special needs before. I was scared of them, but realized they aren't scary at all. Who knew years later I would have a brother with Down syndrome and work at a camp for people with disabilities?!
- •Nikki, Alex, and I were chosen by our science teacher to do special projects during certain class periods, because we were doing really well in the class.Then it seemed like a good time for the three of us to socialize for 45 minutes in the library or the hallway. But we did do some difficult work. We had to research and plan our own artificial reef. That's the one I remember. Now I realized he saw potential in us and challenged us. Now Nikki has a degree in chemistry, Alex is in Med school, and I minored in biology and am going to grad school for forensic anthropology. So thank you Mr. Schmid!
- •I rode a horse for the first time.Nikki had horses. It was one of hers. That was the only time I've ever rode a horse.
- •I had my first boyfriend. It was Alex. Mentioned above.It was more like really good friends who held hands and talked on aim a lot. I talked to him over Christmas for a bit. It was nice to talk again.
- •I started watching CSI sometime around this time. This sparked my love for forensics.
- •I never really listened to music or watched much TV. I read a lot.
- •Really that's all I remember. It was middle school. It wasn't that great, but here are some good moments.