PITTA PACIFYING TIPS (OR HOW TO COOL DOWN WITH AYURVEDA)
New York City is a baking hot concrete hell right now and walking outside is like swimming through pudding. We're deep into pitta (fire) season right now as it's known in Ayurveda (traditional Indian medicine & yoga's sister science). If you're feeling as overheated and irritable as I am, try some of these Ayurvedic tricks I like to stay cool.
- •Cold showers 🛀A no brainer when it's hot out, a very cold shower stimulates the lymphatic system, lowers inflammation and is great for your skin and internal organs. Start by sticking just your feet in and working your way up if the cold is too much of a shock initially.
- •Sitali pranayama 🌬A cooling breathing technique that is surprisingly quick and effective. Sit comfortably with a tall spine. Roll your tongue into a tube, and draw your inhale through it. If you can't do that with your tongue, just use your lips. Exhale through nose or mouth. Repeat for a few rounds. This also cools and calms an aggravated pitta mind!
- •Hydrate effectively with herbs 🍃Basil is actually a better cooling herb than mint in Ayurveda. A few lightly crushed leaves are delicious in cold lemon water, a green smoothie or on a summer salad. Blending cubed watermelon with the juice of 1 lemon is also very hydrating. A pinch of sea salt adds electrolytes.
- •Pitta pacifying foods 🍒🍑🍉Consider what's in season this time of year. Sweet stone fruits and melon, peaches, plums, grapes, etc. (Limited quantities if you are sugar sensitive.) Veggies: squash, zucchini, cucumber. Avoid hot and spicy foots, chilies, ginger and tomatoes if you find them very acidic.
- •Cooling yoga ❄️Switch from a more vigorous yang practice to a slower yin practice, which can still be very challenging. Key asana: savasana, reclined butterfly, pigeon, forward folds
- •Mario Badescu rosewater face spray with aloe 🌹$7 and so worth it!
- •What are your tips to stay cool?Let me know if you try any of these! 🙏🏻