Contemporary Visual Artists Featured on “empire”
- •Kehinde WileyIn the Season One finale, the men of the Lyon family sat at a dining-room table underneath Wiley’s “Prince Albert, Prince Consort of Queen Victoria.” Earlier this year, Wiley’s paintings were exhibited at the Brooklyn Museum.
- •Ebony G. PattersonPatterson has a forthcoming show at the Museum of Arts and Design. Two of her paintings hang in Jamal Lyon’s penthouse apartment.
- •Toyin Ojih OdutolaAfter her chalk-drawn self-portrait “Hold It in Your Mouth a Little Longer” was exhibited in 2013 at the Louisville Art Center, the drawing made an appearance in Lucious Lyon’s mansion.
- •Barkley L. HendricksHendricks’s painting “Lawdy Mama” is in the collection of the Studio Museum in Harlem and was shown last year at the Brooklyn Museum. It appeared in Season Two of “Empire.”
- •Kerry James MarshallThe American artist uses a mixture of painting, sculptural installations, collage, video and photography, exploring issues of race and history through imagery.
- •Lobyn HamiltonHamilton uses vinyl records to shape portraits of musical icons like Lauryn Hill and Jimi Hendrix.
- •Mickalene ThomasThomas creates paintings made of rhinestones, acrylic, and enamel. Her work was recently on view at the Museum of the African Diaspora in San Francisco.