The Top Ten Tech Quotes of 2015
Newyorker.com editor Nicholas Thompson selects the best quotes from the year in technology, ranked by how much he likes them and how much they mattered. Find more of our year in review: http://bit.ly/1Otjym5
- •“Apparently there’s a term for someone who gets turned on by intellectual stuff. You know, just talking. What’s the word? I want to say ‘sodomy’?"—Sean Rad, the founder of the dating app Tinder, making an unfortunate mistake while trying to explain that, actually, his app is for people who want intellectually stimulating relationships, not quick sex.
- •“Some of the potassium results at Theranos were so high that patients would have to be dead for the results to be correct, according to one former employee.”—From a Wall Street Journal investigation into whether Theranos has actually created a product worthy of the hype the company has received.
- •“I am not Craig Wright. We are all Satoshi.”—A posting from an account associated with the genuine creator of Bitcoin denying, yet again, media reports purporting to have determined his true identity.
- •“host bot mother creates engagers”This summer, Ashley Madison was hacked, revealing, among other things,how unsafe our most private data is, how hypocritical some of us are—and how the company created fem bots to try to please its predominantly male customer base.
- •“For most people, Twitter is too hard to use. For most people, Tweeting is scary. For most people, Twitter feels lonely.”—Chris Sacca, an investor in Twitter, who published a long critique of the social media site, and which may have set off some of the turmoil at the company in the second half of the year.
- •“The cases to which those devices related include homicide, attempted murder, sexual abuse of a child, sex trafficking, assault, and robbery.”—Cyrus Vance, the Manhattan District Attorney, explaining the ways that new encryption policies, particularly from Apple and Google, limit his ability to investigate crimes.
- •“Nearly every person I worked with, I saw cry at their desk.”—From a (controversial!) Times investigation into the culture at Amazon.
- •“I sure as hell don’t want to let people that want to kill us and kill our nation use our Internet.”—Donald Trump in a Presidential debate.
- •“I just played a gig inside a giant owl and my girl just changed the entire music industry what a day.”—Taylor Swift’s boyfriend, Calvin Harris, after she persuaded Apple to change the payment policies of its new music-streaming service.
- •“The key question for humanity today is whether to start a global AI arms race or to prevent it from starting.”—An open letter from Elon Musk, Stephen Hawking, and many others about the dangers of artificial intelligence.