What I Wanted to Be Growing Up
Growing up, I've had many very different aspirations that ranged from medicine to design. These are some of them, at least the ones I remember…
- •Doctor/Pediatrician, aged 4At a young age, I became very acquainted with my doctor/pediatrician. She was my hero. Except when she gave me shots, but she's nice and I think I knew she meant well. I wanted to be just like her. Shoutout to you, Dr. Taaca!! 👋🏼
- •Obstetrician/Gynecologist (OB/GYN), aged 6My aunt who is a nurse in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) has told me countless stories about taking care of sick babies. I was really inspired, and want to be part of the miracle of bringing babies into the world. In context, though, I really enjoyed life sciences and anatomy, so this profession is actually very plausible for me.
- •Civil Engineer, briefly, aged 9My parents always taught me to believe there is no such thing as a girly job and a manly job (good parenting, btw, Mom & Dad!), and that I could dream to be anything I wanted. My dad has a Civil Engineering degree, but didn't really get to use it, while my mom wanted the same, but was swayed into commerce instead. I wanted to live the life my parents would've lived instead. I moved on from this dream very quickly.
- •Plus-sized Model, aged 11In grade 4, we had a club called Cyber Kinetix or something like that lolllll, I can't even remember the point of it, but we modelled outfits during school assemblies and stuff. I might've also watched a little bit of America's Next Top Model. I was chubby and thought the only way I'll make it as a model is if I was categorized plus sized. Now older, it breaks my heart that a kid wish they have to be a plus-sized model and not just a 'model'.
- •Interior Designer, aged 13I've always been fairly creative, so after continually watching too much HGTV, and drafting up some designs while procrastinating on homework, I really thought I could be an interior designer. It's also a job that'll let me be somewhat famous with my own design show, while doing something I enjoyed, and be just the right amount of famous.
- •Somebody Famous, aged 14I've watched way too much reality tv, that i really wanted to be famous for literally, out of nothing. Cause let's be real, I can't remember lines. And I dunno, I can't act? I really just wanted my life well-documented so I can look back on it in the future. I might've also wished my high school career is a little something like Laguna Beach (#TeamLC❕)
- •Graphic Designer, aged 15I've already been making graphics for online fan boards (tumblr wasn't a thing yet) and often praised for my creative design, and obviously, I enjoyed it! This is when I started to realize I could take this course in college and do this job for the rest of my life
- •User Experience/User Interface (UX/UI) Designer, aged 20I'm already in my second year of my three-year graphic design program and we've learned a lot more about web and mobile design. Suddenly, print design is boring as hell for me, and keeping up with new web technologies are a lot more exciting.
- •I just want a design job, aged 22I've graduated college, and honestly, I'm still trying to figure out what my next step is, but I hope that's okay, I'm only 22 after all. Oh, and I'm still hoping to get an interview for a front-end dev or designer position