THINK PIECES, ESSAYS, ETC. THAT INFORMED MY OBSESSION WITH TAYLOR SWIFT: THE BRAND
T.S., I'm all in.
- •April 2013 Vanity Fair cover storyMainly for the lengthy descriptions of her home decor. "I asked Swift what she would call her style. She said, 'Tim Burton-Alice in Wonderland-pirate ship-Peter Pan.'" http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2013/04/taylor-swift-cover-story
- •Wall Street Journal Op Ed about love and connecting with fans being the secret to music industry success"Music is art, and art is important and rare. Important, rare things are valuable. Valuable things should be paid for." http://www.wsj.com/articles/for-taylor-swift-the-future-of-music-is-a-love-story-1404763219
- •Taylor Swift's Gift Giving of 2014I cried and I'm not ashamed. What marketing genius comes up with this idea?! http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j3yyF31jbKo
- •The 1989 Secret SessionsSpecifically, this recount, "How Taylor Swift Made My Life Feel Like a Fairytale" by Fallon Wilson http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6015658
- •Her top-notch IP strategye.g. Trademarking most popular lyrics (such as "this sick beat") and purchasing potentially brand-damaging domain names (such as "taylorswift.porn")
- •Switched on Pop's "The Oeuvre of Taylor Swift"Really fascinating breakdown of her songwriting skills. Also this is a super amazing podcast, and everyone should listen to it. http://www.switchedonpop.com/?p=19
- •February 2015 Vogue cover story"On the Road with Best Friends Taylor Swift and Karlie Kloss." In which she details her #squad formation and sets totally unattainable #goals for BFFs everywhere.
- •The open letter to Apple"To Apple, Love Taylor" http://taylorswift.tumblr.com/post/122071902085/to-apple-love-taylor
- •Taylor Swift, Waka Flocka, and the Roots of #Squad by Katy WaldmanBecause her #squad never ceases to blow my mind. http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_valley/2015/07/29/taylor_swift_waka_flocka_and_squadgoals_how_squad_went_from_underdogs_to.html
- •Grammy Pro Listening Session with Taylor SwiftAnother entry that really validates her song writing skills. Also she expertly delivers a critique of lesser songs and records that is just the right amount of self-deprecating. https://www.grammypro.com/professional-development/video/listening-session-taylor-swift-1989-part-1