SOME UNSETTLING (BUT NOT ALL THE SAME TYPE OF UNSETTLING) SHORT OR SHORTISH WORKS OF FICTION
These hang together in my head though who knows whether anyone else would see them as having anything in common. The point is more the grouping than any individual recommendation cos most are v famous. Will revisit if I remember/learn about more.
- •Blumfeld, an Elderly Batchelor - Franz KafkaI mean you'll have heard of most of these but these really is no point in telling someone about Metamorphosis, is there?
- •An Episode in the Life of a Landscape Painter - César Aira
- •Die Judenbuche/ The Jews' Beech - Annette von Droste HülshoffI had to do this for German A-Level and re-read it today. Please read it so I can talk about who the murderer really is with you. Title given in German also cos not all Eng versions translate the title
- •The Earthquake in Chile - Heinrich von Kleist
- •Three to See the King - Magnus Mills
- •We Have Always Lived in the Castle - Shirley Jackson
- •Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad
- •The Garden of Forking Paths - Jorge Luis BorgesThere isn't much in Labyrinths that wouldn't fit in this list in the shape its in in my head. As I was writing this I realised I was making a list in the shape of Borges. As I wrote that I realised that Borges made this exact point before; see 'Kafka and his Precursors'