How Do I Love Thee?
Let me count the ways :
- •I love thee to the depth and breadth and height My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight For the ends of being and ideal grace.
- •I love thee to the level of every day's Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
- •I love thee freely, as men strive for right.
- •I love thee purely, as they turn from praise.
- •I love thee with the passion put to use In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
- •I love thee with a love I seemed to lose With my lost saints.
- •I love thee with the breath, Smiles, tears, of all my life;
- •and, if God choose, I shall but love thee better after death.(By Elizabeth Barrett Browning)