30 Days Of Funemployment
On December 8th, I lost my job. I was in a role that I loved, at a company that I loved, working alongside people that I loved. Here are some things that have happened in the past 30 days that I have been unemployed:
- •I’ve learned what Unemployment Insurance Is.And how useless the Unemployment Office can be when you have real questions
- •I’ve expanded my beer palletI’ve tasted more stouts and porters lately (because they have a higher alcohol content and you get more bang for your buck)
- •I’ve caught up on my Netflix/HBO showsWatched all of Stranger Things, The Crown, Gilmore Girls reboot, Fuller House reboot, Westworld, This is Us, and the current season of SNL
- •I've caught up on my readingJust finished Power Your Happy by Lisa Sugar, Buzzing Communities (a textbook for growing online communities that would’ve been helpful at my last job), re-read @mindy “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me” and am now starting Lauren Graham’s biography.
- •Re-did my resume 4 timesMet with several recruiters who all offered different advice on how I should update my resume. Finally I just said “fuck it” and updated it how it best reflected me and my skills. I *think* I finally have it right now. Then again, I still haven’t gotten hired so who knows?
- •Developed sleep paralysisI have these terrible dreams that keep me awake at night and are probably a result of the stress of job hunting. I downloaded “Headspace” the de-stress app to help me declutter my mind but so far no such luck.
- •I'm learning a new language.Duolingo is helping me learn Portuguese. When we launched our app in Brazil last summer I was at a complete loss & using Google translate every day to try and connect with our users. Now I’m determined to learn at least one new language this year and be able to carry on a conversation with one of my new friends from Brazil that I met last year through work.
- •I lost five pounds.This is probably more of a result of having time to work out and not having my desk near the snack drawers at work, but hey, I’ll take it. Even over the holidays I found myself wanting to workout and keep busy and not snack so much. Don’t get me wrong, I ate all the candy we had in the house. But I also worked out twice a day. I’m making it a small goal to see how much weight I can lose before I get hired. Kind of a race to see if I disappear into thin air before I get a new job.