10 WOMEN WHO CHANGED MY LIFE
I saw this feature in Glamour mag but I am too antsy to wait for them to interview moi.
- •MIAMany folks today categorize MIA as slightly out of touch, a symbol for girls who don't know politics, a girl who doesn't know that much about politics herself. Those folks are wrong, FYI. MIA was the first truly woke woman (not girl, assholes) I was ever exposed to and her music was always 🔥🔥🔥 (esp bc no one at school listened to her too)
- •Sofia CoppolaFilm is art, and she helped me realize that. And maybe in your head you're thinking, 'well, that's some art 101 shit she thinks is good,' to which I say F off, dilettantes, because you can't touch the coppolas
- •Rory GilmoreGirls can read and use big words and boys still like them! Super big teen inspo to me
- •JK RowlingRoll deep w hp
- •Mindy KalingA woman of color unafraid to embrace the conventions of romantic comedy, who writes her own parts and doesn't super care if you're not into it. Me as hell
- •The Riot Grrrl, as a conceptI grew up in a small-ish conservative place. The internet was my only resource for the itching desire (need) I had to know more. When I learned about riot grrrl as a young, preteen grrrl myself, I was blown away. I also pictured the riot grrrl as my best self, with cool hair and flared jeans and platform Skechers, too intelligent to deal with your bullshit. Every day I try to be that Riot Grrrl (but in better clothes).
- •Jenny LewisCool girls sing like real singers. Cool girls write down their feelings into a permanent form. Cool girls synthesize the world into art. AND ARE REALLY FUCKING COOL. It's so fucking beautiful.
- •Marie CurieDid a research project on her in 8th grade. Reframed my sense of femininity. Marie lived her art, so I try to too.
- •BoudiccaUMMM British queen in antiquity who fought the Romans??? William Wallace who??????
- •Diablo CodyHonestly? The reason I wanted to work in the entertainment industry.