Top Ten Short Stories
Give 'em a read...
- 1.The Cannibalism in the Cars - Mark Twain"Let me tell you a story; let me give you a secret chapter of my life-- a chapter that has never been referred to by me since its events transpired."
- 2.The Masque of the Red Death - Edgar Allan Poe"And now was acknowledged the presence of the Red Death. He had come like a thief in the night."
- 3.The Most Dangerous Game - Richard Connel"Even so, I rather think they understand one thing—fear. The fear of pain and the fear of death."
- 4.The Swimmer - John Cheever"He was not a practical joker nor was he a fool but he was determinedly original and had a vague and modest idea of himself as a legendary figure. "
- 5.Lamb to the Slaughter - Roald Dahl"The room was warm, the curtains were closed, the two table lamps were lit. On the cupboard behind her there were two glasses and some drinks. Mary Maloney was waiting for her husband to come home from work."
- 6.An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge - Ambrose Bierce"Death is a dignitary who when he comes announced is to be received with formal manifestations of respect, even by those most familiar with him."
- 7.The Lottery - Shirley Jackson""Clean forgot what day it was," she said to Mrs. Delacroix, who stood next to her, and they both laughed softly."
- 8.The Sound of Thunder - Ray Bradbury"Time was a film run backward. Suns fled and ten million moons fled after them."
- 9.All Summer in a Day - Ray Bradbury"I think the sun is a flower, That blooms for just one hour."
- 10.The Cask of Amontillado - Edgar Allan Poe"For the love of God, Montresor."