Mind Facts (From Hidden Brain)
Hidden Brain is our new podcast about the unconscious patterns that drive human behavior, the biases that shape our choices, and the triggers that direct the course of our relationships. Go ahead and download an episode or two: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hidden-brain/id1028908750?mt=2 While you wait, enjoy these "mind facts" from the show.
- •🚴🚙Drivers get closer to bikers who wear helmets and farther from bikers who wear long wigs. (Study: "Drivers overtaking bicyclists: Objective data on the effects of riding position, helmet use, vehicle type and apparent gender" by Ian Walker)
- •💰🎓📓📚📉The more parents invest in college expenses, the lower their kids' grades. (Study: "Parental Investments in Youth" by Laura Hamilton)
- •🙏⛪️🏃🏼🐆🏥Reminders of God made people (especially believers) more likely to take physical risks. (Study: "Anticipating Divine Protection? Reminders of God Can Increase Nonmoral Risk Taking" by Daniella M. Kupor, Kristin Laurin, Jonathan Levav)
- •🇺🇸💸An increase in U.S. troops sent to a country raises the likelihood of a financial crisis. (Study: "Moral Hazard and Financial Crisis: Evidence from US Troop Deployments" by Michael Aklin and Andreas Kern)
- •🅰🍎🅱🍕Having a backup plan can make you less motivated to pursue your primary goals. (Study: "How Backup Plans Can Harm Goal Pursuit: The Unexpected Downside of Being Prepared for Failure" by Jihae Shin, Katherine Milkman)