5 Things to Know on Nov. 24
A look at the news you need to know today. Read more in our full morning briefings, which you can get in your inbox every day: http://nyti.ms/1kEI7pm
- •Military action in SyriaTurkish fighter jets shot down a Russian warplane near its border with Syria today after Turkey said the jet violated its airspace, in a long-feared escalation that could strain ties between Russia and the West. http://nyti.ms/1PMcAyG
- •Shooting at Minneapolis protestsFive people were shot and wounded late Monday near a police precinct in Minneapolis where demonstrators have been protesting the fatal police shooting of an unarmed black man, the police said. http://nyti.ms/1Nbxxkn
- •Shoppers, bewareJust in time for Black Friday shoppers, research is out today on new malware that can infect retailers’ payment systems. http://nyti.ms/1MA6HRf
- •Ebola returnsA 15-year-old boy died of Ebola in Liberia, a medical official said today, the first such fatality for months in a country declared free of the disease in September.
- •Vatican intrigue on trialA trial started today in the Vatican that will delve into the alleged theft of confidential documents used to write two tell-all books describing purported mismanagement in the Roman Catholic Church’s bureaucracy.