TOP 10 MOVIES
I had this list stored somewhere on my computer and I feel it deserves to be in a place that is especially for lists.
- •The ApartmentTimeless. It is such a subtle film but it feels so real it's hard not to be completely invested.
- •Play It Again, SamMy favorite Woody Allen movie. It's so funny and so warm. Diane Keaton is straight up lovely as Linda.
- •CasablancaMasterpiece. Bogart and Bergman are heartbreaking as Rick and Ilsa. They have such a sensual/earthy chemistry and it carries the story with warmth and vulnerability.
- •VertigoDizzying and thrilling. I had heard about Vertigo a lot before I finally watched it and it still didn't spoil it. I was still blindsided. Bonus: it recently clicked in my brain that Yo La Tengo's "Madeline" is about this plot.
- •The Big LebowskiI've seen this one a lot of times. It's my go to movie for all situations. I would describe it as, "comedy? noir?" with the question marks included. I love it. I quote it maybe more than I should.
- •El NorteA story that unfortunately many Americans never consider when talking about immigration. A story that I never considered as my parents were lucky to come to America through the help of family and what was then a less tedious process of applying for residency in the US. It's a heartbreaking story not only because of the real themes (war, violence, poverty, disease) but because you see them unfold through the eyes of an optimistic, naive, young child.
- •Some Like It HotThe movie that made me fall in love with Marilyn. Nothing (actually nothing, I've tried) can describe the feeling you get when you see her big watery eyes light up on screen. I recommend this movie to anyone who doesn't "get" the Marilyn appeal and also to anyone who likes fun movies. It truly is one of the cutest movies.
- •Shock CorridorI had no expectations going into this one. I had never heard of Samuel Fuller or of any of the actors in this film, I chose to watch it purely for the poster design. It is such a good movie. It's unexpected, uncomfortable, jarring and ultimately dishearteningly sad. I also recommend The Naked Kiss if you like this one (also by Samuel Fuller.)
- •RushmoreSo good! It doesn't have the beautiful color palettes of later Wes Anderson but it is maybe my favorite in terms of characters and story. I have never seen anything like it.
- •12 Angry MenI almost can't believe it's as good as it is. The story is obviously important but the star of the show is the director. The movie suffocates you. Literally. I had unresolved anxiety for weeks after I watched it.