MOMENTS WITH SONGS
- •Once in high school I had a dream that I was doing this incredible interpretive dance. I was a flower! And I was growing! And I was full of the most blissful, powerful sense of joy and possibility!
- •The soundtrack to his dance was Elton John's "Rocket Man," and when he sang "I'm a rocket maaaaaan" I would burst up from a crouch, my arms like petals thrusting toward the sky. Then I woke up and that song was playing on my clock radio.
- •Another time in high school I was skiing alone, since I grew up in a ski town, and I had my headphones on. I stood at the top of a run close to the summit. The mountain sloped down away from me and in the distance were more peaks than I could count, fading off into the distance. "Here Comes The Sun Came" on.
- •I remember thinking anything was possible.
- •In New York once I went to dinner with a man I'd recently met and we were clearly falling for each other. At dinner one night we talked about everything, life and our plans and what the future might bring. "At Last" started playing, and he looked at me and said "I guess this is it."
- •Four weeks later he called me at 8am ET from the airport and said "I can't do it. I can't come to California." I never saw him again.